Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Potty-Training Application

This morning, Mrs. Learner took the two younger ones to the seminary's one-day-a-week on-site childcare while she ran errands with the older two.

On his way home from class, Learner met them all coming home. His youngest (who is two and almost potty-trained) had on her back a sticker handwritten by Mrs. Learner that said, "Ask me to go potty, please."

Learner said he smiled at both the message and the child's unawareness of the request for help in something she was still learning how to do. He then wondered briefly how his own sticker(s) might read. I offered these suggestions:
"Ask me to not be so obsessive-compulsive when it comes to assigned readings, please."

"Ask me to be less insecure about what people think of me at most hours of the day, please."

"Ask me to learn to take a compliment and not always turn it into a joke, please."

"Ask me to be more gracious and not judge others, please."

"Ask me to love my wife and family more, please."

"Ask me to stop believing it's all about me, please."

"Ask me to pray, please."
Learner didn't think my suggestions were all that funny.

Applicable, yes; funny, no.